This past week, when I wasn’t at Kingdom-con, I made some sandbag terrain from Green Stuff. I’m not going to get into how to work with Green Stuff, the link I provided covers that.
I’ve never worked with Green Stuff before. It wasn’t too difficult. I made 2 different sandbag walls, using 2 different methods.
I was making some bases for Khurasan’s Female Auxiliaries and I had some Green Stuff left over, so I made the first sandbag wall. A few days later, I made the second one. The first one, I kept the sandbags connected in a row, not cutting all the way through Green Stuff. For the second set, I decided to make individual sandbags, and stack them.
I think the individual sandbags looks way better. It didn’t take much longer to do, either.
I have a tool that has a textured grip, so I rolled the grip across the top of the sandbags for texture. Paint, black wash, sepia wash, and a dry brush.
I based them on thick cardboard, because that’s what I have around the house. Vinyl wall spackle mixed with sand in a thin layer on the cardboard, then some sand and very little static grass, since my battle mat is desert themed.
I hope to mess with the Green Stuff some more in the future.